Tuesday, July 31, 2007

apparently, I can do math.

So there's this RPh who can't stand working with me. I don't take it personally, most because he hates ALL oregon state grads, and therefore hates me by default. Anyway, on days that he works, about 90% of the things that I do are wrong. Here's an anecdote from today. It's funny, it really is.

scene: I'm peeling a label off a prescription hard copy because we're gonna change the drug to something else (and thus will generate a new label).

RPH: what are you doing?

me: peeling this label off.

RPH: why?

me: because we're gonna get a new label for that because i just changed it.


RPH: stop. i can't believe we're paying you per hour to be doing this! I don't care what you'd be doing if we paid you by salary, but you're paid by the hour, and not being paid to peel stickers. blah blah blah blah blah ( i tuned him out as he lectured on and on about how i was wasting company money by wasting that time).

me: ok....

hmmm...let's do the math.

wasting 5 seconds of my time to peel off a label. 5 seconds = 0.00138 hours. at my pay rate, i've lost the company a total 2.3 cents in "unproductivity".

wasting 1 minute of his time as a pharmacist to yell at the intern for being unproductive. 1 minute = 0.0168 hours. at his pay rate as a pharmacist, he's lost the company a total 83 cents in unproductivity.

hmmmm i'm no genius at math, but....ISN'T THAT EVEN MORE UNPRODUCTIVE?

not my preceptor, guys.

No comments: